Most stores were having sales on Valentine's fabric when I found the pattern, so I stocked up on a few. Here are the five I'm using for this one.
I placed my 2.5" squares and sewed them up and put the border on.
Then I used the twister tool just like on the Christmas tree and sewed them back together. Sorry no pics of that step on this one. I was too excited to keep sewing.
I decided on a pink border. The picture above shows the more true pink color.
I sewed the backing on, put on a hanging sleeve, and did some top stitching.
I'm planning on making another one and will do some work on the placement of the squares. The middle one in the second row has a little bit too much white in it. It blends in too much with the background so I'll make sure I put a more solid looking piece there next time.
I wasn't born when this picture was taken, but it's my Dad blowing snow. Dad and Grandpa made the "tractor" part using an old combine motor, a rear end
from an old car or pickup and various other recycled parts. It was a snowblower in the winter and a garden tiller in the summer. He tilled many, many gardens around town.
In one of many visits to the quilt shop over the holidays, I saw a pattern for a Christmas Tree wall hanging using the Itty Bitty twister tool. After seeing it, I decided to switch gears from quilts to smaller projects.
I started out with several squares...
...and arranged them into a tree pattern.
I sewed them all together and then put on a border. This was the easy part.
Then it was time to actually use the twister tool. Out of that quilt, you cut new blocks with the twister tool using the intersection of each square. Those first few cuts were quite nerve-racking. But after a couple of rows, it wasn't so bad.
Each block was cut at an angle and then "twisted" straight...
...and sewn back together. As I got about halfway, I really wasn't sure I liked this project because you had to sew everything together twice. And those second pieces are teeny, tiny.
But once I had it all pieced back together, I loved it. I knew I'd be making more than this single pattern. I already have something else started, but you'll have to wait for another post to see that one. :-)
This is a shot of the back so you can see all of the seams I had to work with. Except for the initial squares, I pressed the seams open to reduce bulk.
I used red fabric for the backing and put a sleeve for hanging on as well. I also did two rows of top stitching in the border.
I guess I forgot to take any pictures of putting the binding and backing on.
The completed project. I love it and can't wait to finish the next one.