Saturday, September 29, 2012

Boy Baby Quilt

I've made a few baby quilts over the years, but the majority of them have been for girls. Now it was time for a boy.
I found a really cute design, and decided to use red fabric as the contrast rather than a dark blue. The quilt shop had the perfect red in their Thomas the Train line. I made strip sets of the two fabrics rather than cutting individual blocks and then sewing them together. Such a timesaver. 
I tie almost all of the baby quilts I make. My mom helped me make this small quilt frame several years ago.
The first layer to go down is the back of the quilt, then the batting (cotton low loft), and finally the quilt top. Sometimes it's quite the process getting it all square on the frame by myself, but I eventually get it.
Then comes the tying. I usually use embroidery thread but have also used 100% cotton yarn. As I get each couple of rows done, they're rolled around one side of the frame to keep the fabric tight.

(Wow, the color is off on the walls. They're really bright yellow/gold.)

After the top is tied, the edges are trimmed up and the binding sewn on.
A name tag on the back finishes it off.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Flower Bag

Several months ago I decided that I wanted to make a bag. I had seen several cute ones in stores and on some blogs. I searched for the perfect (easy!) pattern and some quilted fabric that I liked. Finally found both...and then it just sat there. A few other projects got completed but not this one...until a couple weeks ago. 
I hadn't sewn from a pattern since high school home ec. It all came back like it was yesterday.
After putting a binding on the front and back pieces, it was time for the handles. They were really long, and I had quite the time getting them right side out because the fabric was so thick. I worked on the first one for almost 20 minutes until my frustration level was quite high. Did some searching on the web and found several ideas to help. The second one took less than five minutes!

Next it was time for the bottom. The curves seams took me awhile, but I finally got them.
I love it. It's the perfect size.
This was a great project. Nice to do something different than sewing quilt tops where accuracy is so much more important.