Saturday, February 6, 2016

New Bedroom Carpet

It's been quite awhile since I made many updates at my house. Most of them happened within a couple years of me buying it. 

But the bedroom carpet needed to be replaced, and it finally happened. 
The installation took just a couple hours and he did a great job.
I knew I wanted a light color and once it was down, I knew I'd made the right choice. 

But now it really makes the living room/hallway carpet look dark and it has way too yellow of a tone. But it's in decent shape so it'll stay for now.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Birthday Tote Bag

It's been way too long since I posted. Time to get back at it and update you on some of my recent projects.

I had made myself a tote bag a few months ago. When it came time for Lisa's birthday, I decided to make one for her. I admit I picked the fabrics because I loved them, but I knew she would too. 
It was much easier to make the second bag since I now had experience with adding a lining. 

I also made a small makeup bag to match. 

Happy Birthday, Lisa!!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Log Cabin Wallhanging

A few years ago I made this wall hanging for my sewing room. I was going to teach myself to hand quilt. Well, after five years, I knew that I wasn't going to do that. I've started to do machine quilting on small projects, and I like the idea of faster completion. And my eyes just don't like to do hand stitching anymore. Binding quilts is enough for me.

I blogged about it here.
I made the usual quilt sandwich with some basting spray.
Machine quilted it and bound it.
And hung it in my sewing room. 

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Tote Bag

I found this tote bag pattern on Fort Worth Fabric Studio's blog. I hadn't ever made a bag with lining before, but I knew I was up to the challenge.
 I found some fabric (really like the larger design) and then had to work with interfacing and fusible fleece. Since I've become more of a quilter over the years, this was new too. Just had to follow the instructions....very easy.
 Added some box corners.
 Made the lining the same as the outside and then sewed them together. I'm missing some pictures of a few of the steps. By the dates on the pictures, I'm guessing I got sidetracked by another project so no wonder I forgot to get pics.

 The lining was pushed inside the bag and topstitched around the top edge to hold it in place. 
I made a couple of tweaks to the pattern. I made the handles a couple inches longer and also added a pocket on the inside. 

You can never have too many bags, and I love this one!

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Bike Ride Sights

I've been on several rides in the past month. A few things I've seen.... 
I got caught in the rain on this one.

The Clive Greenbelt is closed right past the interstate so I had to turn around and go back.

But not before getting a shot of the river under the bridge.

This was my first venture down to Gray's Lake.

And since then I've ridden down there three more times. Always lots of people enjoying the lake and park.
Saw two deer on another ride right up close to the trail. I also saw two cardinals and an indigo bunting on this ride, but they fly away too quick to get a picture.

And I think the best thing yet...a field of lilies. And this is only about half of them.
 Ranking high up there with the field of lilies is the open country view back home.  

And last but not least, the ice cream truck at Water Works Park.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

West Bend Biking

I was home last weekend and took my bike with me. 
My first ride was a short trip thru town and then out around the section. Those few miles were definitely harder than what I've been doing on the trails. No wind protection and the legs really get a workout. You can see forever out there though.
My second trip was also out around the section. I went further east on one leg and then when I got back to town I went north. Got about eight miles in.

Thursday, July 23, 2015


I watch Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting every week. I've even got Mom watching it every so often. I'd seen the epiosde where they made these coasters. And then a few days later Mom asked if I'd seen the show as she'd like a set of them.
Start with four pieces of 5"coordinating fabrics.  Fold them in half diagonally wrong sides together and press. The 5th one is the back.
Lay two triangles on the backing piece.
Put the 3rd piece (the blue one) over half of one piece from the step above and under half the other piece.
Then put the 4th piece (the cream one) under and over opposite from the 3rd piece.
You should end up with half of each triangle showing.
Pin or clip the pieces together and sew around the edges. I didn't get a picture of the next step. Open up the coaster in the hole in the center where the four fabrics meet and turn it inside out. This hides the seams.
Topstitch around the edges, and you're finished. The coaster in this picture is the same one as the one above that but because I turned it inside out, the fabrics are opposite.