Thursday, December 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Balls

I got this recipe from a former co-worker a couple of years ago, and it is now my favorite Christmas candy. There is nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate.

 After mixing up the dough, you roll it into balls.
 Then it's time to dip them in chocolate. I have my own version of a double boiler that I use so the chocolate stays thin enough. All you need is a sauce pan and a bowl that fits in it. I use the edge of a paring knife along the handle of the sauce pan so the bowl doesn't make a tight seal. Otherwise, when the water boils, it splatters all over. Sometimes you have to improvise in the kitchen...especially for an item that would only get used once a year.

 The finished product. I actually dip them twice so there's just a bit more chocolate!! Who doesn't think that's a great idea.
Recipe:
1 stick melted margarine
1 lb. powdered sugar (start with less)
2 cups creamy peanut butter
3 cups rice krispies (measure, then crush)
Mix by hand until smooth. Roll into 3/4" balls and dip. Cool on wax paper. Makes 6 dozen.
Thru trial and error, I have found that you want to start with a little less powdered sugar. If the dough is too dry, you'll have problems keeping the balls together.

Chocolate coating:
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 oz. Hershey candy bar
1/2 stick parafin

2 comments:

Mom said...

Peanut butter? :-(

Chocolate covered cherries would be so much better!! But then, everyone knows I don't like peanut butter.

Lynn said...

I made them too!