Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Lavender scented hand warmers

I was reading some quilting blogs and ran across this idea for hand warmers. I've made some neck warmers with rice in the past but never thought about making mini ones...especially with a quilt top.
I knew I kept all those tiny scraps for a reason. I put a quarter down for comparison. 
I sewed up some half-square triangles for two of them, and scrappy tops for three more. I put a layer of cotton batting on the back and stitched in the ditch to hold it in place.
I put the front and back right sides together, stitched them together leaving a small opening and turned them right side out. 

I used my lavender essential oil to scent the rice and filled them a little more than halfway. Just the perfect calming scent.
Five finished hand warmers. Definitely not the best picture. Didn't realize it was bad until after I'd given them away and couldn't take another. 
They made the perfect Valentine's Day gifts.

This was a really fun project, and I definitely want to work more with minis. It just might be my next quilting addiction. The patterns are endless. I also saw ideas for pin cushions just like this but the filling is different. Some used crushed walnuts and others polyester fiberfill. I need to do some experimenting.


No comments: