Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rhubarb Pie

Last weekend we had our annual rhubarb pie making day. This year Mom, Lisa and I made 14 pies for the freezer.  The first step was to clean and cut the rhubarb.  We ended up with about 58 cups.  What we didn't use for pie, we put in freezer bags for use throughout the year.


My job is to make the crusts.  I use a recipe I learned in high school home ec. 
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix the above with a pastry cutter until it's crumbly.  Add 4-5 tbsp. ice cold water a couple at a time until the dough holds together.

Between Mom and Lisa they made the filling.  Honestly, I've never made it.  Noboby else wants to learn how to make the crusts, so I'm stuck doing it. 
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
Mix and add in 2 1/2 cups rhubarb.  Pour into crust and dot with butter.

After putting on the top crust, rub a small amount of milk on crust and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes.

Here are some of the finished pies.  The rule is that if you help make them, you get to share in the pies throughout the year.  Mike has helped in the past but wasn't home this year to help.  But I'm sure if he's really nice to me, he might get one.

Enjoy!!

No comments: